Monday, January 10, 2011

Winter quiet...

Things have calmed a bit around here. After the frenzy of holiday preparations and the revelry of family and friends it's nice to have a little breathing room. We've said goodbye to the tree (sniff) and most of the decorations are packed away. All that's left are the cards, still silhouetted in front of the the window, hanging by clothespins on a stretch of yarn.  A little banner of happy faces and thoughts of peace. Eventually they'll come down too, but not quite yet.



I hope all the cards clients ordered for the season have found their recipients happy and healthy in the New Year. I loved watching the orders come through my inbox. I beam with pride knowing the smiles I captured are traversing the country to serve as good wishes to family and loved ones.

Knowing that Spring will be here before I know it, in the after Christmas lull, I've enjoyed being able to turn my camera to Winter. Walks in the snow are a quiet luxury many of us don't indulge in nearly enough.  The hush is not only heard, but seen, as light is diffused by the condensed air, leaving it soft and cool . Winter light has a magic all it's own. Fuzzy and frosty.


The light blankets everything, just like the snow, leaving only the hint of shadow.  And the muted tones are a perfect backdrop to play with color, allowing them to pop and take center stage.


If only I could stay out longer without my fingers feeling like they're going to fall off.  But I always have a destination in mind.  Preferably one with a hot cup o' Joe and a window seat. 


That last one? I need a couple sitting on those stools, leaning into each other, chatting, silhouetted against the cold winter outside. Maybe a steaming mug on the counter. A lovely image for Valentines Day, no? Give me a call, let's make it happen. (And remember, a free engagement session comes with booking Two House Photo for your wedding...and we still have a few weekends open...just sayin'.)

Happy New Year everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment